Book Review: Present Over Perfect

8:00 AM

Hi y'all,
I have heard about Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist t for a few months now (it was released in February). I just got my hands on it, and quite frankly I'm not really sure how I feel about it.

I think the reason I don't know how I feel about it is because I expected more clarity throughout the book. I loved that the book was told in stories (every point had a story to go along with it).

This book is all about changing your life from the rushed lives we all tend to live to a more steady and focused life. The focus is on making sure you're putting the actual important things in front of things you "thought" were important.

I think it is important to look at the fact that we cannot always pick the actual most important thing to start with, and often prioritize things like work over family.

Now, I will say I am completely guilty of this. Since I work two jobs and go to school full time, it is tricky.

This book tries to explain that it is okay to say no to something and that it won't take away from future opportunities. This point, I will have to argue. In fact, I attempted to change my schedule at my previous place of employment after they told me they would encourage me and support me in anything I chose to do. That ended up not to be true and after a few nasty emails from my superior, I ended up quitting. Luckily, it was the best decision I ever made. But, this is a clear example of how it does not always work out perfectly if you say no to an opportunity.

Overall, I like this book's vision and point. This book wants you to stop rushing around (which I do about 90% of the time) and live more in the moment. This is definitely something I've been trying to do, and I like the points brought up by Niequist to make it happen (minus the point above).

I do think this book is definitely worth a read, but I think every piece of advice needs to be taken into consideration with what else is going on in your life, as it might not work out as seamlessly as it did for Niequist. I do believe this book is a good book and anyone can get a lot out of it. It does have a lot of Christian values, but they're worked in such a way that the book is not "preachy" or forcing you to be a Christian in order to get something out of the book.

Have you read Present Over Perfect? What did you think?

with southern grace,
Lindsey


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments absolutely make my day, thanks for writing one!
with southern grace,
Lindsey