Sorority Skills Used in Every Day Life

8:00 AM

Hi Y'all,

As some of you may know, I'm an ADPi. So, I figured there was no better day than ADPi's Founder's Day to share this post with y'all: the skills I've found useful since graduating in 2015.

Now, I realize that I work in retail and in school, but I feel these are pretty universal.

1. Conversation. If you've ever done sorority recruitment on the sister side, you can probably hold a 10 minute conversation with a brick wall. Let me tell you, this skill is actually useful when making small talk or trying to figure out something during a sticky situation. Since I work in retail, I have definitely had to talk to people from all walks of life, and working in a school means I have to figure out what the conflict is when there are two kids screaming at each other and crying at the same time.

2. Multitasking. Being in a sorority means you're pretty busy. This means you can probably do two (or more) things at once. This I have found super handy in being able to get things done during the day so I'm not running around anymore than I have to (which is still a lot).

3. Organization. Again, this was a key skill in college, and still is post grad. I always have something going on since I work two jobs and go to school full time. Now, I don't color code my agenda anymore (well at least not as much), but I now use Google Docs/Google Drive successfully, or at least in a sufficient way for me to be successful.

4. Time Management. What? You mean you don't have to work 5 hours, go to class for 3-4 hours, AND do homework? Well, if you don't you're probably taking work home with you. While, I take very little work home with me because I have successfully learned time management. While I was doing my undergrad at CNU, I rarely had as much homework/studying to do as my roommate (granted, different majors and different expectations), but in my collegiate years, I would work, go to chapter, homework, and dinner and still be in bed by 9 or 10 every night (and I can say that I made it through all of college without drinking coffee).

5. Crafting Skills/Tech Skills. I don't know about y'all, but my crafting days did not end on May 9th, 2015 when I graduated. If anything, I use them more now. I can make an ad/flyer on the computer quickly. I can edit a picture for Instagram and keep a consistent look (done more for the store than my personal Instagram). I can craft something in 10 minutes that it takes other people half a day to figure out how to do. Also, cutting things with a die cutter? Oh my gosh, give me 5 minutes and it's done.

Moral of this story: learn all the skills you can, you never know when you'll need them.

with southern
 grace,
Lindsey


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading your comments absolutely make my day, thanks for writing one!
with southern grace,
Lindsey